If you’re considering a Mac purchase, always refer to the MacRumors Buyer’s Guide. Using historical release dates, it will tell you whether it’s a good time to buy a particular model. At this time, many Macs models are due for an update, labeled caution or don’t buy. I’ll provide my brief opinion on your purchasing options here.
- For those buyers who need a cheap Mac right now, the MacBook Air, 13″ MacBook Pro, and Mac mini fit the bill. If the purchase is not urgent, you should definitely wait for their M2 replacements.
- It’s relatively safe to buy the 14″ and 16″ MacBook Pro models now for those who are willing to pay more for substantially better multi-core performance.
- Apple discontinued the 27″ iMac. For those who need an all-in-one right now, the 24″ iMac is a solid purchase. Like the low-end Mac models, it’s best to wait for the M2 version if you can.
- I would not buy a Mac Pro at this time. The Apple Silicon version of the Mac Pro will likely have mind-boggling performance at a better price/performance ratio.
- The Mac Studio was just released, and is a definite buy for those who need the power of an M1 Max or M1 Ultra chip for their creative work.